This report provides a concise overview of the Ice Cream market in Australia. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioral trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behavior, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Ice Cream sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of major Ice Cream categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private label across Ice Cream categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Ice Cream sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Australian Ice Cream sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Experience Seeking in Ice Cream, along with health increased health consciousness impacting Australian Ice Cream Sector.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Variety seekers and health conscious consumers driving recent changes. Artisanal Ice Cream is growing as consumers continue to reward themselves with small treat, however portion control Ice Cream is also growing owing to the increased health and wellness concern. Value of the Australian dollar versus the US dollar fell rapidly during the second half of 2008, and then grew rapidly during 2009. This has caused volatile growth in the Australian Ice Cream market in US$ terms, even as volumes have grown at a relatively constant rate.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Australian Ice Cream sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across major Ice Cream categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets were the most important retail outlet for Ice Cream followed by Food & Drink Specialists and Convenience Stores.
Artisanal manufacturers are innovating in premium range ice cream to tap this niche market and gain from the consumers who seek variety and local flavors.
Australians are becoming increasingly aware about ethical consumerism as manufacturers reassessing their supply chain to ensure their Fairtrade product lines to cater this niche segment.
Lifestyle change, rising on-the-go consumption and the demand for small portion snacking, supported by Australia’s rising per-capita income and the increasing number of working families, has led to the growth of Artisanal and Impulse Ice Cream.
Private label penetration rates in the Australian Ice Cream sector will be helped by the concentrated Food retail market, where the two leading retailers, Woolworths and Coles, dominate distribution.
- Australia's population is aging and becoming increasingly multi-cultural
- Food & Grocery growth will be concentrated in national chains
- Buying convenience plays a major role in Ice Cream sales, owing to the impulse nature of the category
- Public awareness regarding healthy diets and nutrition has increased
- Experience Seeking in Ice Cream, along with health consciousness continues to be among the leading trends in Australian Ice Cream Sector
- Ethical consumerism rising with increasing awareness
- Artisanal and Impulse growing faster than Take Home Ice Cream category
- Lifestyle change, on the go consumption, small portion snacking impacting category winners and losers
- Fluctuating exchange rates have added complexity to the Australian Ice Cream market
- Variety, premiumization driving Artisanal Ice Cream sales with innovation towards health conscious product line
- The value of the Take-Home Ice Cream category will grow steadily during 2012-2017
Brands & Private Labels
- Concentrated retail environment together with price discounting can drive growth in Private Label penetration
- Price discounting and concentrated retail space will drive Private Label share
- Key brands by category
- Impulse Ice Cream’s high volume share is creating demand for Flexible Packaging Bags/Sachets and Paper & Board
- Paper & Board is the most preferred form of packing material in Ice Cream market giving convenience to customer
Future Outlook– four key trends in Australia’s Ice Cream sector
- Tough competition from Dairy Alternatives
- Ethical Consumerism will increase
- Innovation will drive sales
- Seasonality will decrease
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List of Tables
List Of Figures