This report provides a concise overview of the Prepared Meals market in Japan. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioral trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behavior, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Prepared Meals sector in Japan.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of three Prepared Meals categories: Meal Kits, Pizza and Ready Meals.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands across the Meal Kits, Pizza and Ready Meals categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Japanese Prepared Meals sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Key future trends are highlighted and analyzed in order to identify opportunities and threats in the Prepared Meals sector.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Japanese Prepared Meals sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The sheer number of Japan’s older consumers, over 30 million people aged 65 and above, simply can’t be ignored. Meanwhile, the increasing number of single-person households, often elderly consumers seeking easy-to-cook meals, has created demand for smaller Prepared Meal packages, or those that can be resealed in order to reduce food waste.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Japan’s aging population means marketers face a challenge meeting the nutritional needs and consumption habits of older consumers. Consumers above the age of 65 accounted for 24% of the population in 2012, while children aged 14 and under made up only 13% of the population. Consumer Packaged Goods Companies are increasingly tapping into the lucrative “grey” market with a range of products targeting the elderly population.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Japanese Prepared Meals sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across three Prepared Meals categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets dominate the distribution of both Food overall and Prepared Meals in particular in Japan, accounting for two-thirds of each market by value. However Convenience Stores have a slightly higher share of the Prepared Meals market than they do of the overall Food market. This is driven by the popularity of Bento boxes.
Though Japanese consumers enjoy traditional food, their busy lives and the increasing number of single person households has contributed to demand for quick and easy meals that are purchased either at retail outlets or eaten at fast food chains offering traditional or western fast food.
Ready Meals, already the most valuable category in Japan’s Prepared Meals sector, will record the fastest growth rates. This will be driven by rapid growth in the consumption of Chilled Ready Meals, while the already substantial Frozen Ready Meals segment will also record strong growth.
Japanese consumers often seek out Prepared Meals as an indulgent treat for themselves, and the consumption of products made using the best quality ingredients or production processes is a key way to do this. This means Prepared Meals in Japan can’t just be a quick and convenient alternative to cooking; Prepared Meals really have to look and taste as good as they appear on pack.
- A declining birth rate and an aging population are creating new dynamics in the consumer goods market in Japan
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets account for the majority of Food & Grocery sales
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets dominate the distribution of Prepared Meals
- Busy lives and the increasing number of single person households is driving changes in Japanese eating habits
- Japanese consumers consider Prepared Meals to be an indulgence, yet continued economic weakness makes value paramount
- Aging consumers want fresh and healthy Prepared Meals
- Ready Meals are driving growth in the Japanese Prepared Meals market
- The value of the Prepared Meals market has continued to grow, even as the yen appreciated against the dollar
- Solid growth in the value of Prepared Meals markets is forecast after a volatile 2007-2012
Brands & Private Labels
- Private label Ready Meals in Japan are unsophisticated, cheap alternatives to branded meals
- Key brands by category.
- The dynamics of the Ready Meals category drives overall packaging demand in the Prepared Meals sector
- Rigid Plastic Trays will continue to be the most in-demand pack format through till 2017
Future Outlook– four key trends in Japan’s Prepared Meals sector
- Japan’s aging population will drive new product formulation
- Indulgence is key to growing the Pizza category, but will also limit it
- The T?hoku Earthquake has increased the importance of labeling
- Demand for smaller and re-sealable packs is on the rise
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List of Tables
List Of Figures