The incidence of smoking among Japanese males is very high but has been steadily declining, 30.3% of Japanese men still smoke compared with 9.8% of women over the age of 20 years. Overall 19.6% of adults smoked in 2014, substantially down from 36.7% in 1990. Japan Tobacco retains a legal monopoly over cigarette production in Japan and remains the dominant supplier. In 2014 its overall share stood at 60.4%. Its principal competitor is PMI with 25.9% with BAT also present with a share of 12.3%.
- The Japanese market remains dominated by locally produced national brands. Although this dominance was showing signs of weakening between 2009 and 2012, a resurgence in the profile of locally produced cigarettes to 66.4% was recorded in 2014, a gain of over 10% since 2011.
- Volumes dropped back by an estimated 8.9% in fiscal 2015 with ERC expecting further falls beyond 2014. Indeed if consumption tax is increased again in the short-term, to the planned 10.0%, the rate of decline could be greater.
- With the Japanese now taking proactive steps to reduce smoking, sales are set to fall sharply over the coming decade. Per capita volumes are forecast down 22.8% in 2023 compared to 2013. Total sales are set to fall 24.5% over the same period by 2023.
“Cigarettes in Japan”, is an analytical report by Canadean which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Japanese market.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis and our in-house expertise
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands along with company profiles
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habit and the growing health concerns affecting overall production
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2015 to 2023.
Reasons To Buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- As consumers' product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the shifting market dynamics is key to ensuring maximum future sales.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes -prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future
Table Of Contents
2. Market Size
3. Market Structure
4. Manufacturersand Brands
5. Taxationand Retail Prices
5.2. Retail Prices
6. The SmokingPopulation
7. Productionand Trade
8. Operating Constraints
8.1. Advertising Restrictions
8.2. Health Warnings
8.3. Other Restrictions
9. Company Profiles
10. Prospectsand Forecasts
11.1. What is this Report About?
11.2. Time Frame
11.3. Product Category Coverage
11.5. About ERC - a division of Canadean
List Of Tables
Table 1 : Cigarette Consumption, 1990-20144
Table 2 : Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2014
Table 3: Retail Sales of Cigarettes, 1990-2014
Table 4 : Market Breakdown, National v International Brands, 2000-2014
Table 5 : Segmentation by Marketed Strength, 2002-2014
Table 6 : Marketed Strength Trends, 1990 and 2001-2012
Table 7 : Menthol Cigarettes: Sales Trends, 2000-2014
Table 8 : D-Spec Products, Sales Trends, 2003-2013
Table 9 : Premium Cigarettes: Sales Trends, 2008-2014
Table 10: Number of Cigarette Retailers and Vending Machines, 1997-2013
Table 11: Manufacturer Sales and Market Shares, 2002-2014
Table 12: Japan Tobacco: Shares by Marketed Strength, 2000-2012
Table 13: Manufacturer Positioning by Sector, 2000-2009
Table 14 Market Shares, Leading Brand Families, 2000-2014
Table 15: Market Shares, Leading Brand Variants, 2000-2014
Table 16: Japan Tobacco: New Product Launches by Category, 2004-2014
Table 17: Japan Tobacco: New Product Launches, 2004-2014
Table 18: Cigarette Tax Rates: 1985-2015
Table 19: JT-Approved Cigarette Price Increases, 2014
Table 20: Impact on Monthly Cigarette Sales of October 2010 Tax Increase, 2010-2012
Table 21 : Tax Incidence and Margin Development per Pack, 2005-2014
Table 22 : Cigarette Tax Collection, 2003-2012
Table 23 : Breakdown of JT Brands by Price, 2000-2014
Table 24 : Average Retail Prices, 2000-2009
Table 25 : JT: Cigarette Brand Pricing, 2007-2014
Table 26 : Smoking Population, 1990-2014
Table 27 : Smoking Prevalence by Gender and Age Group, 1999-2013
Table 28 : Smoking Prevalence by Gender and Region, 2011
Table 29 : Average Number of Cigarettes Smoked by Gender and Age, 2011 and 2012
Table 30 : Cigarette Production, 1990-2014
Table 31: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2014
Table 32 : Imports by Country of Origin, 2000-2014
Table 33 : Cigarette Exports, 1990-2014
Table 34 : Exports by Country of Destination, 2000-2014
Table 35: Consumption Forecasts to 2023
List Of Figures