This report provides a concise overview of the Ice Cream market in the India. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioural trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behaviour, economic conditions and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Ice Cream sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analysing the market dynamics of the Ice Cream categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands across Ice Cream categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Indian Ice Cream sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Indian Ice Cream sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Indians are eating out more often. Between 2007 and 2016 the Foodservice sales will increase from US$ 47,670.3 million to 106,343.1 million. The food service sales for 2012 were around US$ 67438.5 million with around US$ 40307.5 million contributed by the Restaurants of which US$ 15.3 million was contributed by Ice-Cream Vendors which has grown more than twice from US$ 6.6 Million in 2007
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Indian consumers continue to indulge in Fun and Enjoyment with Ice Cream products. Consumers look for differentiated products that help them relax and unwind to satisfy their need for Personal Space & Time.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Indian Ice Cream sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across Ice Cream categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
Ice-cream distribution in India is concentrated in one channel, Convenience Stores, which is itself highly fragmented with the widespread presence of “kirana” stores.
Indians have an appetite for sweet dishes after meals, Ice Cream is one option. However it is being increasingly consumed as a snack at home and in Ice Cream parlours.
Kids & Babies are the major consumers of Ice Cream products
Ice Cream is a universally-consumed product but slightly skewed towards male consumption in India. Most of the consumers are Time rich and financially better off, which associates Ice Cream as a product consumed for fun and leisure.
Flexible Packaging in the form of Bag/Sachet is the most commonly used packaging used in the Ice Cream Market followed by Cup with Rigid plastics driven primarily by the Impulse Ice Cream category which accounts for the majority of sales
- Indian economy has grown at a steady pace
- Convenience stores account for majority of Food & Grocery sales
- Most of the sales of Food & Grocery is through Convenience stores which are large in numbers and more wide spread across India
- Rise in disposable incomes, work schedules driving change in eating habits
- While men are the major consumers in terms of volume, the category is preferred by the kids & babies across the genders
- ‘Heavy Consumption’ is common across most of the age groups
- Indian consumers consume Ice-cream products mainly for Fun and Enjoyment
- Fun & Enjoyment is the key influencer driving category sales
- Targeting a wide variety of tastes and seasonal sales are key to success in the Confectionary market in India
- Impulse Ice cream is the most valuable category while Take Away ice cream is growing at a slightly higher growth rate than Impulse Ice cream
- Take-home ice cream and impulse ice cream are drivers of the Category Growth
- Indian Ice-cream market continues to grow steadily
- Impulse ice cream continues to be the growth driver of volumes
- Take-home ice cream is expected to grow at a higher rate
Brands & Private Labels
- Low to moderate Private label penetration in India’s Ice-cream sector
- Growth in Private labels is high, but penetration is still low both Impulse and take-home Ice creams
- Key brands by category
- Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used packaging material
- Increasing consumption of Ice-cream will drive Flexible Packaging
Future outlook – key trends in Indian Ice Cream sector
- Ice cream continues to be one of the fastest growing Market
- Ice cream will grow as a product associated with experience
- Product innovation is the key to increasing sales
- Urbanization to drive the Ice Cream Market
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List of Tables
List Of Figures