Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles on trade mark owners and local operators. Brand volumes and market share are given by price segment, alcoholic strength and type. Consumption volumes are provided by pack mix (type, material, refill ability, pack size) and distribution channel (on- and off-premise). Other information includes market valuation/pricing data. All supported by market commentary
This report provides readers with an excellent way of gaining a thorough understanding of the dynamics and structure of the South Africa cider market.
This report provides readers with in-depth data on market segmentation: mainstream, premium, super premium, discount, alcoholic strength, and type.
This report provides data and analysis of the performance of both domestic and imported brands and reports on new product activity in 2011
This report provides an analysis of industry structure, reports on company volumes and selected company profiles
This report provides distribution channel data (on- vs. off-premise) and discusses the latest trends in the key sub-channels. Packaging data includes consumption volumes by pack material, type, size, refillable vs. non- refillable. Market valuation data and selected pricing data are also included.
Why was the report written?
The 2012 South Africa Cider Market Insights report is a high level market research report on the South African cider industry. Published by Canadean, this report provides an excellent way of gaining an in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the market. The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on cider market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The cider market in South Africa is relatively small compared to other alcoholic beverage categories, mainly due to the fact that there are very few 'real' cider brands in the country, however it is a category that is growing more quickly than most others. There are three main brands - Hunter's and Savanna by the Distell Group and Foundry Premium Cider.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Cider tends to be consumed more by women in their 20s and 30s, however, there is a large and growing male contingent in the same age bracket that is tapping into the cider market - mainly through Hunter's. Cider is an aspirational product consumed by upper income groups in pubs, bars and restaurants, not in the mainstream shebeens and taverns that beer and spirits are consumed in.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The South Africa Cider Market Insight report is designed for clients needing a quality in-depth understanding of the dynamics and structure of the cider market. The report provides a much more granular and detailed data set than our competitors.
Reasons To Buy
The cider market performed very well in 2011, mainly fuelled by the success of the Hunter's brand repertoire. Hunter's tends to bridge the gap between being a drink for men and women.
The recession has had its effect, meaning fewer South Africans have the money to go out and buy food and drinks from restaurants or bars. There is definitely a trend towards cooking like a chef in your own kitchen, and entertaining friends and family at home rather than out of home.
Cider is perceived as a trendy, premium beverage to be seen with in South Africa - it is not a drink for older generations or the more classic consumer.
Some cider brands are also sold in bottles that look like beer, such as Savanna. Consumers and retailers are confused over what constitutes a cider, and often apple flavored alcoholic drinks such as Sarita Select and Redds (both apple ales), are classified alongside Savanna and Hunter's as 'ciders'.
Savanna and Hunter's have done exceptionally well internationally, driving much of Distell's growth as a company.
Table Of Contents
Section 1 Market Update
• Key Facts
• MARKET COMMENTARY
• Current and Emerging Trends
• Imports and Exports
• Top 10 Cider Brands – Volume, 2010-2011
• Top 10 International Premium and Super premium Cider Brands – Volume, 2010-2011
• Brand Analysis
• Private Label/Private Label Producers
• New Products Activity
• Section 2 Brewer Profiles
• Brand house Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
• DISTELL GROUP Pty Ltd
• Distell, South Africa Brand Volumes, 2007-2011
• Stellen Fine Wines
Beer and Cider Attributes Definitions
List Of Tables
LEGISLATION AND TAXATION TABLES
• Table 1.2.1 – Taxation Base
• Table 1.2.2 - Historical Excise Rates of Cider
• Table 1.2.3 – Legal Controls on Cider
• PRICING TABLES
• Table 1.3.1 – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: Off-Premise, 2010-2012
• Table 1.3.2 – Selected Consumer Cider Prices: On-Premise, 2010-2012
• DATA TABLES
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Liters, 2001-2012F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - % Share, 2001-2012F
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - per Capita - Growth, 2001-2011
• Commercial Beverage Consumption - Million Liters, 2001-2012F
• Alcoholic Beverage Consumption - Liters of Pure Alcohol (LPA) Per Capita, 2001-2012F
• Cider Production/Trade/Consumption, 2005-2012F
• Cider Production/Trade/Consumption - Growth, 2005-2012F
• Consumption of FABs and Cider, 2001-2012F
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
• Cider Consumption by Local Definition, 2008-2012F
• Cider Consumption by Standard Price Segmentation, 2008-2012F
• Cider Consumption by Alcoholic Strength, 2008-2012F
• Cider Consumption by Type, 2008-2012F
• Cider Consumption by Geographic Scope, 2008-2012F
• Cider All Trademarks, 2007-2011
• Cider Brands by Local Definition, 2007-2011
• Cider Brands by Standard Price Segment, 2007-2011
• Cider Brands by Alcoholic Strength, 2007-2011
• Cider Brands by Type, 2007-2011
• Cider Imported Brands by Origin, 2007-2011
• Cider Trademark Owners, 2007-2011
• Cider Local Operators, 2007-2011
• Cider Leading Brewers/Importers, 2007-2011
• Cider Consumption by Pack Mix: Refill ability/Type/Pack/Size, 2008-2012F
• Cider Distribution: On vs. Off Premise, 2008-2012F
List Of Figures
• Chart – Leading Brewers/Imports, 2011
• Market Structure
• Cider Producers/Importers
• Chart – Consumption by Pack Material/Type, 2011
• Packaging Trends
• CHANNEL ANALYSIS
• Chart – Distribution by Channel, 2011
• Chart – Consumption by Price Segment, 2011
• Market Valuation & Pricing
• Cider Market Valuation (Local Currency), 2010-2012F
• Distribution Trends