This report provides a concise overview of the Bakery & Cereals market in the Germany. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioural trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behaviour, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Bakery & Cereals sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analysing the market dynamics of 11 Bakery & Cereal categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private label across Bakery & Cereals categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Germany’s Bakery & Cereals sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Germany’s Bakery & Cereals sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Increased public awareness of healthy diets and nutrition is visible in consumer’s purchases, and is driving the demand for health and wellness products. Private labels are rapidly gaining market share, as improved quality at competitive prices is encouraging consumers to switch over.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The German Bakery & Cereals market is complex, encompassing a variety of needs and tastes. The desire to Indulge is the key motivation driving the consumption. This page examines the influence of two of the leading trends in the Bakery & Cereals sector in Germany.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insights and market data, to provide a comprehensive brief of the Germany Bakery & Cereals sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across 11 Bakery & Cereal categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the dominant retail channel for Bakery & Cereals distribution. Most baked goods and staple foods are sold through Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, and the market share of leading retailers is rising, driven by their private label options.
Older Consumers are the heaviest consumers of Bakery products. Marketers need to target this category with healthier products.
The desire to treat oneself is a key motivator of consumption in the German Bakery & Cereals sector followed by need for Better Value for Money and Busy Lives.
The German Bakery & Cereals market is mature and growing at a steady rate. However, the growth rate varies across different categories. Energy Bars will continue to be the fastest growing category by value, followed by the Bread & Rolls category which is already the largest category in the German Bakery & Cereals market.
Private labels are performing well in Germany, and penetration is relatively high in the German Bakery & Cereals sector at 22.1% of the overall market. Private label penetration varies depending on the product category in the Bakery & Cereals sector: penetration is low in categories such as Breakfast Cereals and Bread & Rolls, due to aggressive penetration by Artisanal manufacturers and the important role played by brand image in these categories
Table Of Contents
- Economic uncertainty to adversely affect consumer spending in Germany
- Germany’s food retail market is highly competitive, saturated and features low prices and narrow profit margins
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets are the most preferred channel for purchase of Bakery & Cereals in Germany
- High share of single-person households in Germany is adding momentum to Foodservices sector
- Female consumers have a little higher consumption share of Bakery & Cereals products
- The frequency of consumption for Bakery & Cereals is highest amongst Older consumers in Germany
- Indulgence is the most influential factor for Germans in their Bakery & Cereals purchases
- Busy Lives and Individual needs & wants are the other major trends in the German Bakery & Cereals market
- Germany’s Bakery & Cereals sector is a matured market with limited growth opportunities
- Bread & Rolls and Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies are driving growth in the Bakery & Cereals sector in Germany
- Bread & Rolls to gain market share during 2012–2017
- Bakery & Cereal Category Dynamics and Opportunities
Brands & Private Labels
- Private Label penetration is highest in the Morning Goods category
- Private Label Bread & Rolls is the fastest growing category in local currency value
- Key brands by category
- Bakery products are driving demand for Flexible Packaging Bags and Sachets
- Flexible packaging to increase its share as the preferred packaging material for Bakery & Cereals sector
Future outlook – key trends in Germany’s Bakery & Cereals sector
- Increasing input and import costs will impact prices and profitability
- Consumption of on-the-go products will grow
- Age-Specific Needs are driving consumer attention
- Demand for organic and natural Bakery Products will grow
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List Of Tables
List Of Figures