This report provides a concise overview of the Confectionery market in Brazil. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioural trends that will drive its evolution and the leading companies within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behaviour, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Confectionery sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of major Confectionery categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private labels across Confectionery categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Brazilian Confectionery sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Brazilian Confectionery sector allows new entrants and established companies to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Chocolate accounts for half of the total Confectionery sales in Brazil. With increased economic prosperity of the country’s large middle class population, there has been significant change in consumer behavior. Demand for higher quality and expensive Chocolate and increased consumption of Gum products has also added to Chocolate and Gum’s rapid sales growth.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Personal space and time, and Fun & Enjoyment are key trends in the Brazilian Confectionery market. The pace of modern life and all the demands it brings means that many people are seeking to create their own “bubble” of space and time where they are in control, are able to relax and unwind, and are free from the constant flow of things to do.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Brazilian Confectionery sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across major Confectionery categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
The presence of a large young population has boosted demand for new product lines of Confectionery items in Brazil. Manufacturers, cashing in on the increased demand, have introduced a variety of Gum and Sugar products with new flavours and tastes.
Major confectioners in Brazil have boosted their marketing spending in preparation for the FIFA World Cup 2014 and Confederations Cup Football Tournament, which took place in 2013. It is likely to result in heightened competition in the overall Confectionery market for additional market shares.
The demand for Chocolate will grow at a higher rate between 2012 and 2017 in local currency terms, with annual growth rate of more than 2%, helped by seasonal sales and important sales days such as Valentine’s Day and White Day.
Easter, Dia dos Namorados (Lovers' Day), and Christmas are important days for chocolate sales in Brazil; Easter alone is estimated to account for 30% of all chocolate sales in the country.
Shelf-space visibility has gained importance as brands compete with each other to secure shelf space at strategic locations in retail outlets.
- Stable economic growth, low inflation rates, large share of young population, and easy consumer credit availability driving growth in Brazil's retail sector
- High urbanization rate and growth of middle income population favor growth in organized retail in Brazil
- Convenience stores, followed by Hypermarkets & Supermarkets account for majority of Confectionery sales in Brazil
- Increased wealth and prosperity of Brazil’s middle class population driving growth in new
- food and beverage categories and Foodservices sector
- Women consume Confectionery items more than male; male market is more diversified
- Personal space and time influences Brazilians the most in Confectionery consumption
- Confectionery market in Brazil offers less opportunity for headroom expansion
- Chocolate and Gum to gain market share at the expense of Sugar Confectionery
- Price Inflation likely to result in higher revenue sales growth in Brazilian Confectionery market during 2012-2017
Brands & Private Labels
- Low Private label penetration in Brazil’s Confectionery sector due to high market concentration among major brands
- Private labels unlikely to challenge major Confectionery brands because of their low penetration level
- Rising Confectionery consumption is creating demand for Flexible Packaging Films, Bag/Sachet, Wrapper, and Foils
- Smaller sized packaging gaining popularity for on-the-go consumption and keeping check on calories intake
Future Outlook– four key trends in Brazil’s Confectionery sector
- New Product launches driving growth in Confectionery market in Brazil
- Global events prompts higher marketing spend by major Confectionery companies
- Celebration sales of Chocolate
- Confectionery packaging patents more in use
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List of Tables
List Of Figures