This report provides a concise overview of the Dairy Food market in China. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioral trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behavior, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Dairy Food sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of major Dairy Food categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private label across Dairy Food categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Chinese Dairy Food sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Chinese Dairy Food sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Growing disposable income and the development of new products such as probiotic yogurts has driven the Dairy sector’s growth in China. In local currency terms, the Dairy Food market in China grew steadily at a CAGR of 8.8% during 2007-2012.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Life stage needs and Age related products driving Dairy Food consumption in China. Chinese Dairy Consumers are Cost Conscious yet they seek products that help them relax and enjoy
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Chinese Dairy Food sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across major Dairy Food categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
Dairy products distribution in China follows a similar pattern with a differing proportion of market share. Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the most important channel in Dairy Food distribution, with a 52% share of retail sales in China in 2012.
Rising disposable incomes, along with an expanding middle-class, allows scope for Dairy Food manufacturers to target consumers with more premium products.
Changing Lifestages is by far the most important motivation in the Chinese Dairy market, which shows the need for manufacturers to produce products that meet specific requirements they see as being caused by their life stage, such as single consumers and young couples looking for smaller pack sizes.
The Chinese are traditionally very cost-conscious and this characteristic is driving them towards value priced products. Chinese consumers tend to adhere to a strict shopping list and are mindful of not going over budget.
In US dollar terms, the Chinese Dairy market registered higher growth, at a CAGR of 12.9% during 2007-2012. This was due to the weakening of the Chinese Yuan against the US dollar.
Table Of Contents
- Better living standards have shifted people’s focus from satisfying basic needs to pursuing a higher quality of life
- Food & Grocery sales are concentrated in national chains
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets account for the largest share of sales in the China’s Dairy Food Market
- Increasingly urban and busy consumers will provide the growth in both retail and food service sectors
- Women account for the majority of the Dairy Food products consumption
- Dairy Food manufacturers should focus their strategies towards Mid Lifers
- Changing Lifestages is the major trend driving the Chinese Dairy market
- Life stage needs and Age related products driving Dairy Food consumption in China
- Chinese Dairy Consumers are Cost Conscious yet they seek products that help them relax and enjoy
- The Chinese Dairy market is expected register positive growth as exchange rates stabilize
- Milk and Yogurt will drive the overall Dairy sector
- Yogurt and Cheese categories are expected to gain their market share
- The value of Dairy Food market is recovering from the 2009 currency devaluation, with Cheese to register highest growth
- A young and older Chinese population drive the market for Yogurt while Puddings/Desserts still looking for preference
Brands & Private Labels
- Low penetration of Private Label products in Chinese Dairy Food market
- Private Labels are key to growth in Cheese, Milk and Yogurt categories
- Key brands by category
- Growing demand for Dairy Food will drive the growth for Rigid Plastic and Paper & Board packaging
- Rising consumption of Dairy Food products will drive changes in packaging demand by 2017
Future Outlook– four key trends in Chinese Dairy Food sector
- There will be a growing number of quality seeking consumers
- Older consumers will seek healthy Dairy products
- Trust towards foreign brands is on the rise
- Mass Urbanization will increase Dairy consumption
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List Of Tables
List Of Figures