This report provides a concise overview of the Fragrances market in Japan. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, and the economic, demographic, and behavioural trends that will drive its evolution, and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behaviour, economic conditions and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Fragrances sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of major Fragrances categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private label across Fragrances categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Japanese Fragrances sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Japanese Fragrances sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Japan, despite being a mature market, has a low penetration level of Fragrances. The per capita Fragrances consumption lies below the global average. Fragrances usage in Japan is expected to grow at an average annual rate of 1.4% during 2007-2017, picking up pace after two years of decline in 2009 and 2011 due to economic recession and natural disaster. The overall growth in the market will be primarily driven by the Female Fragrances category, though Male Fragrances market is also expected to take off driven by higher grooming need of Japanese males.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Premium Fragrances category to witness robust growth as Japanese consumers look to Fragrances as a rewarding indulgence by trading up to the highest quality, most exclusive, Fragrances. Tokyo, with most number of millionaires in the world provides good opportunity for international companies to expand the market.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Japanese Fragrances sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across major Fragrances categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
The youth and teenage market is a potential growth market, leading many international companies to launch products that are youth-oriented. Advances in communication technology and media have enabled teenagers to be even more social, re-affirming the group identities that often drive teenager’s product choices.
New launches remain vital to growth in the Fragrances market. Fragrances with a better performance ratio based on stability, controlled release system features, and functionality, such as stress reduction and change in mood are in greater demand.
The digital consumer is more focused on value, gathering online information from multiple channels, and gives more importance to user generated reviews.
Economizing favors Private Labels, but the economy range of Fragrances from major brands stems the growth of Private Labels. In addition, new launches from major brands, innovative packaging design, and celebrity endorsements, hold off the higher penetration by private labels in the Fragrances sector.
- A declining birth rate and an ageing population are creating new dynamics in the consumer goods market in Japan
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets followed by Health & Beauty Stores are the most preferred point of sales for beauty and personal care products
- Online retail of beauty products setting in major changes in the cosmetics landscape in Japan including Fragrances
- Fragrances market driven by celebrity fragrances and youth-oriented products
- Individualism and New Gender Behavior are major trends in Japan’s Fragrances market
- Female Fragrances sales to grow faster than Male Fragrances and Unisex Fragrances
- Market shares of Fragrances categories to maintain status quo during 2007-2017
- Female Fragrances account for majority sales in Japan; Male Fragrances is the next emerging sector
- Unisex Fragrances targeted at Youth and teenagers in Japan
Brands & Private Labels
- Private Label penetration is low in the Fragrances sector
- Economizing favor Private Label Fragrances but economy range of Fragrances from major brands styming growth of Private Labels
- Fragrances packaging most popular in glass bottles
- Packaging design key to product differentiation in Fragrances market
Future Outlook– four key trends in Japan’s Fragrances sector
- Demand for higher quality products
- Men’s Fragrances witnessing strong growth
- Celebrity Fragrances driving growth
- Patent of Fragrance Packaging design on the rise
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List of Tables
List Of Figures