'Costa Rica: LTE auction will help to balance spectrum distribution among operators, boosting competition in the mobile market,' a new Country Intelligence Report by Pyramid Research, offers a precise, incisive profile of Costa Rica's mobile and fixed telecommunications and pay-TV markets based on comprehensive proprietary data and insights from our research in the Costa Rica market. Published annually, this presentation-quality, executive-level report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV sectors, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
- The Costa Rican telecom and pay-TV market generated an estimated $1.2bn in service revenue in 2013, up 17.6% from the previous year. The mobile voice and data segments alone generated 64.2% of the total revenue of the sector, while the fixed broadband, fixed voice and pay-TV segments accounted for 35.8%.
- Costa Rica closed 2013 with 7.1m active mobile subscriptions and a penetration rate of 145.5%, above the Latin American average of 117.9%. We project that Costa Rica's mobile subscriber base will continue to expand from 2014 to 2019 at a 3.2% CAGR.
- The auction of 40 MHz of spectrum in the 1800MHz band and 30 MHz in the 1900/2100MHz bands during 2015 will balance spectrum distribution among operators, helping to boost competition.
- Broadband penetration in Costa Rica stood at 10.3% at the end of 2013, above the Latin American average (9.9%) and above the penetration of other Central American nations. We expect that between 2014 and 2019, broadband service providers will sell around 508,000 new lines.
This report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Costa Rica today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2019. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Costa Rica telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Research's databases.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Regional context: telecom market size and trends in Costa Rica compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Costa Rica.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed/pay-TV and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2014 to 2019.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Costa Rica's telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
Reasons To Buy
- This Country Intelligence Report helps executives build proactive, profitable growth strategies by offering comprehensive, relevant analysis of Costa Rica's communications market. The analysis is based on insights directly from the local market players.
- The report offers a wealth of data on the Costa Rican telecom markets, with the mobile and fixed segments examined in detail.
- The competitive landscape and the major players are given extra attention, enabling local players or prospective market entrants to gain the insight they need.
- The broad but detailed perspective will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players to succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Costa Rica.
- The report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality that allows it to be turned into presentable material immediately.
- The report concludes with an exploration of the opportunities available in the Costa Rican market to operators, vendors and investors.