This report provides a concise overview of the Skincare market in the UK. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioral trends that will drive its evolution and the leading companies within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behavior, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Skincare sector in the UK.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of five Skincare categories: Body Care, Depilatories, Facial Care, Hand Care, and Make-up Remover.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands across the Body Care, Depilatories, Facial Care, Hand Care, and Make-up Remover categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the UK Skincare sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Key future trends are highlighted and analyzed in order to identify opportunities and threats in the Skincare sector.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the UK Skincare sector allows new entrants and established companies to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The volume of Skincare products used in the UK will steadily increase during 2012-2017 at a CAGR slightly higher than that registered during 2007-2012. However, the market has experienced volatile growth in US$ terms due to fluctuating exchange rates, which has added complexity to the market for international companies operating in the UK Skincare market.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
With more than 35% of the population 50 years of age or older as of 2012, the population mix in the UK has been skewed towards the aging population, aided by the growing life expectancy rate. Therefore, with 38% of the country’s population expected to age further by 2017, the future target for retailers should be the better off older consumer rather than the cash-strapped young consumers. A desire for tailored products along with age-based necessities drives demand in the UK Skincare market. Demand for Skincare products is also influenced by new gender behaviors along with consumers’ desire to look more beautiful.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the UK Skincare sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across five Skincare categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
Men in the UK are increasingly looking to take better care of their skin in order to look good. A large section of the male population is particularly spending a lot of time on their facial skincare and to that end is even developing regimens for themselves. This has led to a noticeable increase in the use of facial care products amongst men.
Body Care and Facial Care are the most valuable categories in the UK Skincare sector and are expected to witness positive growth rates during 2012-2017.
The Health & Beauty market in the UK is fragmented in terms of competitiveness and companies’ overall sales shares. Although Hypermarkets & Supermarkets lead distribution, the market is also marked by the presence of Specialist Retailers.
Despite the economic uncertainty and a tendency among consumers to cut down on expenses, the overall share of private label products in the UK’s Skincare sector remains low. However, a high penetration rate was seen in the Make-up Remover and Depilatories categories, which was remarkably higher than the overall Skincare private label penetration.
While Depilatories continues to be a low value category in the UK Skincare market, Make-up Remover is expected to register the lowest growth rate during the period 2012-2017 and is also the smallest category in the UK Skincare market
Table Of Contents
- UK Skincare market provides significant opportunities to marketers despite rising consumer prices and a declining population growth
- Specialist retailers are the primary distribution channel for Health and Beauty products
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets dominate the distribution of Skincare products along with other Health & Beauty products
- Skincare consumption in the UK is led by Older and financially Better Off men and women
- Older Young Adults are the heaviest consumers of Skincare products in the UK
- Skincare consumption in the UK is primarily driven by age-specific needs
- A desire for tailored products along with age-based requirements drive demand in the UK skincare market
- Demand of skincare products is influenced by new gender behavior along with the consumer’s desire to look beautiful
- Body Care continues to lead UK’s Skincare market in terms of growth
- Facial Care and Hand Care products expected to lose market share to Body Care products during the forecast period
- UK Skincare sector will register a steady increase in volume and value growth despite volatile exchange rates
- Body Care and Facial Care to witness increased sales and steady growth over the forecast period
- Depilatories and make-up removers continue to be low-value categories
- Popularity of anti-aging hand care products to drive the category growth
Brands & Private Labels
- Nivea, Veet, and Olay lead brand share in the skincare category
- Dove, Nivea, and Vaseline hold the leading share in the Hand Care category
- Make-up Removers and Depilatories witnessed the highest private label penetration
- Increasing private label sales of Depilatories contributed to the highest category value growth during 2009-2012
- Rigid Plastic Bottles and Tubes along with Screw Top Closures are preferred for Body Care and Facial Care products
- Demand of Rigid Plastic Bottles along with Flip/Snap Top and Dispenser closures will be driven by increased usage of Body Care and Facial Care products
Future Outlook– four key trends in UK’s Skincare sector
- UK Skincare sector to witness growth in anti-aging and natural products along with increased consumption of premium products
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List Of Tables
List Of Figures