Oman: Omantel and Ooredoo Turn to Converged Offers to Stay Ahead of MVNOs and Each Other, a new Country Intelligence Report by Pyramid Research, offers a precise, incisive profile of Omans mobile and fixed telecommunications markets based on comprehensive proprietary data and insights from our research in the Omani market. Published annually, this presentation-quality, executive-level report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and sectors, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
- With revenue of $1.5bn, or 1.9% of GDP, the telecom services market in Oman is the 17th largest in the Africa and the Middle East region in 2014. Over the next five years, Pyramid Research expects total market revenue in Oman to grow at a CAGR of 4.9% to reach $1.9bn in 2019. Overall, the telecom services market is much smaller than that of other GCC countries such as the UAE and Kuwait, in line with Omans smaller population and GDP levels.
- The leading operator, Omantel, accounted for 67.0% of total service revenue in 2014. Both operators (Omantel and Ooredoo) are investing in LTE networks in bids to extend their respective market shares. At year-end 2014, 57.7% of mobile subscriptions in Oman were 3G. We expect the number of 3G subscriptions to rise at a CAGR of 11.6% from 2014 to 2019.
- Over the next five years, the mobile data segment will present the most attractive opportunity for operators; we expect it to generate a cumulative $3.2bn in revenue during 2014-2019. Fixed broadband will generate a cumulative $2.1bn over the same period, nearly three times the revenue fixed voice will generate. To take full advantage of this growth, Omani operators are developing their converged offers and are competing fiercely on bundling. We expect that customized features of converged offers, and the bundling of traditional voice and data services with new multimedia and IT services, will make them more competitive. Both Omantel and Ooredoo are in a good position to address the increasing demand for convergence, since they are active in all segments of the market.
This report provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Oman today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2019. It delivers deep quantitative and qualitative insight into Omans telecom market, analyzing key trends, evaluating near-term opportunities and assessing risk factors, based on proprietary data from Pyramid Researchs databases.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following:
- Regional context: telecom market size and trends in Oman compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Oman.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice and mobile data markets.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2014 to 2019.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Omans telecommunications markets.
Reasons To Buy
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Omans telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying Pyramid Researchs Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Omans mobile communications, fixed telephony/VoIP, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in OMANs telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Oman.