The Swiss outbound market has been growing due to strong currency and low unemployment levels. The stronger currency increased the ability of Swiss people to travel abroad. Visiting friends and relatives (VFR) is the fastest-growing segment and accounted for 23% of trips in 2014. This is largely attributed to a large number of immigrants present in Switzerland who go to their country of origin to meet their friends and relatives. Most VFR trips are within Europe, as 85% of the country's foreign permanent resident population is of European origin.
- The Swiss outbound tourism market recorded strong growth over the last few years, reaching 13.8 million trips in 2014. This growth was driven by a strong Swiss Franc, high disposable income, and a low unemployment rate. VFR has traditionally been an important segment due to the many nationalities that are living the country. Spending per day stood at US$234, while per trip spending stood at US$1633 in 2014.
- Switzerland's LCC share is one of the lowest in Europe; however, the LCC's that are present are rapidly gaining market share. Easy Jet has been expanding its presence by adding international routes and is now the largest airline at Geneva airport
- 88% of all outbound trips are within Europe, and Germany, France, Italy, and Spain are the key source markets. Turkey as an outbound destination has seen rapid growth due to the many promotions, visa free entry, and a good air connectivity between Switzerland and Turkey
Canadean's report - “Source Market Insight: Switzerland” provides detailed information on the Swiss outbound tourism sector, analyzing market data and providing insights. This report provides a better understanding of tourism flows, expenditure, and the airline, hotel, car rental, and travel intermediaries industries.
What else does this report offer?
- Detailed market analysis, information, and insights, including:
- Historic and forecast tourist volumes and values covering Switzerland's outbound tourism sector
- Detailed analysis of tourist spending patterns for various categories in the travel and tourism sector, such as purpose of spending and top source markets.
- Detailed analysis of the market trends in Switzerland's outbound tourism sector.
Reasons To Buy
- Make strategic business decisions using historic and forecast market data related to the Switzerland Outbound Travel and Tourism sector
- Understand the demand-side dynamics within the industry to identify key market trends and growth opportunities
- Direct the promotional efforts on most promising markets by identifying the key destination countries
Table Of Contents
Outbound Trips by Purpose
Mode of Transport
Main Destination Markets
Destination Focus; Turkey
Destination Focus; Mauritius and Iceland
List Of Tables
Table 1 Key Statistics, 2014
Table 2: Foreign permanent resident population by nationality, 2014
Table 3: Outbound trips (in 000s)
Table 4: International departures by region (in 000's), 2010-2019
Table 5: International departures by purpose of visit (in 000's), 2010-2019
Table 6: International departures by country (in 000's), 2010-2019
Table 7: Overnight stays (in millions), 2010-2019
Table 8: International departures by mode of transport (in 000's), 2010-2019
Table 9: Average length per outbound trip ( number of nights spent), 2010-2019
Table 10: Total outbound tourism expenditure by category (in CHF millions), 2010-2019
Table 11: Total outbound tourism expenditure by category (in US$ millions), 2010-2019
Table 12: Average outbound expenditure per resident by category (in CHF), 2010-2019
Table 13: Average outbound expenditure per resident by category (in US$), 2010-2019
List Of Figures
Figure 1: Outbound trips, by purpose of visit, (in 000s)
Figure 2: Outbound expenditure (in US$ million)
Figure 3: Average outbound spending per resident
Figure 4: Outbound trips by mode of transport (in 000s)
Figure 5: Number of seats sold by carrier type (%) in 2014
Figure 6: Outbound trips to Turkey
Figure 7: Exchange rate: Swiss Franc to Turkish Lira
Figure 8: Outbound trips to Mauritius
Figure 9: Outbound trips to Iceland