This report provides a concise overview of the Haircare market in India. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioural trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behaviour, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Haircare sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analysing the market dynamics of 4 Haircare categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands across Haircare categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Indian Haircare sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Indian Haircare sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Haircare market in India displayed positive trend during 2007-2012, as the global economic slowdown had a minimal impact. Young consumers are driving the demand for Haircare products such as hair gels, hairsprays and waxes
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
India’s fast growing economy, high proportion of youth population, and the increasing influence of western lifestyles is changing the consumption pattern of Haircare products. Furthermore, rising disposable income of the middle income group is driving the demand of premium products.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Indian Haircare sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across 4 Haircare categories and their packaging. With rising disposable income, beauty related aspiration sales have soared in India. High earning consumers are willing to trade up to premium products.
Reasons To Buy
The major reason behind Convenience Stores being the most preferred destination is their presence near residential areas and the discounts they offer to attract customers. Relatively fewer number of Hypermarket chains in India also favor sales at Convenience stores.
Mid-Lifers have highest share of heavy frequency use of Haircare products such as hair serum, keratin treatment and hair repair. Older consumers have greater consumption of Hair colorants and Hair oil.
Haircare companies have come up with products that enhance masculinity and have designed sales campaigns to attract male consumers. Haircare products such as Brylcream, Setwet hair gel, Gatsby styling wax highlights masculinity of the product in scent and style thus increasing its appeal to men.
With rising disposable income, beauty related aspiration sales have soared in India and these high earning consumers are willing to trade up to premium products. The Haircare companies are also consistently adding more products to their premium categories to meet this demand.
Private Label penetration is highest in the Styling Agents category followed by Shampoo in Indian Haircare market. Younger population looking for low-cost styling agents such as styling creams and waxes, hair gels, hair sprays is driving private label growth in the category as the youngsters are willing to try retailer brands.
- Growing young population with higher disposable income is driving growth in the consumer market
- Convenience stores are the primary distribution format for Health & Beauty product sales
- Convenience Stores are preferred outlets for purchasing Haircare products in India
- Haircare Market in India will register strong growth in value and volume terms
- Hair Colorants and Styling Agents will record the highest growth during the forecast period
- Styling Agents, especially hair oil, is driving growth in the overall Haircare market, while increased use of shampoos in rural areas is also contributing to growth
- Hair colorants category will the record fastest growth during 2012-2017
- Fast-growing categories such as Styling Agents and Hair Colorants to gain market share during 2007-2017
Brands & Private Labels
- Dove has dominant share in the Shampoo and Conditioner categories
- Parachute leads in the Styling Agents category in Indian Haircare market
- Private label penetration in the Indian Haircare market is extremely low due to large share of unorganized retail in the country
- Growth opportunity exists for private label in Styling Agents category
- Flexible Packaging is the most widely used packaging material in Haircare sector driven by small size sachet packs
- Flexible Packaging will continue to drive demand in Haircare packaging, however Rigid Plastics will witness marginal increase in use
Future outlook –key trends in Indian Haircare sector
- Shifting demand in Haircare products due to demographic factors and rural-urban divide are key emerging trends in the Indian Haircare market
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List Of Tables
List Of Figures