This report provides a concise overview of the Haircare market in Japan. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioural trends that will drive its evolution, and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behaviour, economic conditions and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Haircare sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analysing the market dynamics of major Haircare categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private label across Haircare categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Japanese Haircare sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Japanese Haircare sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Japan presents a mature market in the Haircare sector. Haircare product sales in Japan are expected to grow at CAGR of 2.6% during 2007-2017.The country’s growing ageing population are spending more on personal grooming including Haircare products desirous to look good irrespective of their age.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
The overall growth in the market will be primarily driven by young consumers, the trend of colored hair and the latest hairstyles have buoyed up the sales of colorants and styling agents, and such trends are likely to continue.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Japanese Haircare sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across major Haircare categories and their packaging.
Reasons To Buy
Hairstyle is essentially an individual style statement and Japanese consumers are keen to use hairstyle to portray their individuality. Japanese consumers are focused on Haircare products that convey vitality and healthful living.
Japan’s large share of aging population makes anti-age Haircare products a key growth area. Compared to rapid sales growth of anti-age skin care products, anti-age Haircare segment has newly emerged in Japan.
Increased number of professional women in Japan has ensured strong per capita spending on Haircare products as better personal appearance is often viewed as necessity to win in competitive environment.
Canadean estimates Haircare categories in Japan to grow below 3% during 2012-2017. Colorants and Styling Agents categories will lead the market growth. Growth in these categories was stable in local currency terms, however fluctuations in exchange rates have caused more variable growth in US$ terms.
- A declining birth rate and an ageing population are creating new dynamics in the consumer goods market in Japan
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, followed by Health & Beauty Stores, are the most preferred point of sales for beauty and personal care products
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets dominate distribution of Haircare products while Drug stores & Pharmacies are another key channel
- Individualism and Health & Well-being influence purchase decision of Haircare products most
- Changing Age Structure and New Gender Behavior are other major trends in Japan’s Haircare market
- Hair Colorants lead Japan’s Haircare market
- Hair Colorants and Styling agents to marginally gain market shares during 2007-2017
- Low popularity of Perms and Relaxers in Japan to hold back sales growth
Brands & Private Labels
- Domestic and international brands present in the Haircare market in Japan
- Haircare packaging most popular in glass bottles
- Packaging design key to product differentiation in Haircare market
Future Outlook– four key trends in Japan’s Haircare sector
- Anti-aging Haircare products in demand
- Dress style influences hair color trend
- New age Styling agents hit market
- Innovation and Convenience driving Haircare packaging
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List of Tables
List Of Figures