The fundamental consumer demand for taste, health and convenience provides three key areas where manufacturers can achieve product differentiation. This report examines how advances in encapsulation and emulsion technologies and the refinement of functional ingredients and flavors have led to the development of range of high value finished goods, supplements and beverages.
- Identify the key delivery challenges for key ingredients and flavors. How do they translate into opportunities?
- Use case studies to assess cutting-edge innovation in ingredient delivery technologies.
- Consider the next areas of opportunity for delivery technologies.
- Identify the pioneering manufacturers and products in this field.
Reasons To Buy
- What are the key delivery technologies that have been developed to improve the delivery of nutraceuticals?
- How have encapsulation technologies been used to improve the delivery of ingredients that can improve taste, texture and nutritional content?
- Which companies lead the field in probiotic delivery and what new opportunities exist in this field?
- What technologies have been developed that can improve the solubility of ingredients for use in ready-to-drink beverages and fortified waters?
- Which technologies have emerged to improve the delivery of cosmeceutical in health and beauty products?
Researchers are interested in exploiting new carrier materials such as aliginates, milk and whey protein gels, and other natural delivery vehicles such as non-digestible carbohydrates found in fruit and cereals. For example, researchers at the University of Nottingham have produced probiotic bread using edible films that contain live bacteria.
Encapsulation technologies can be used to reduce aftertaste and enhance taste, flavor and aroma. For example, Maxx Performance's microencapsulation coats particles of caffeine, vitamin B, potassium chloride, dipotassium phosphate and metallic-tasting compounds with a thin, unflavored edible film that masks the bitter taste.
The application of encapsulation techniques can increase ingredient functionality and protein and cell viability, and provide controlled and continuous delivery to the gut. Formulations of functional ingredients have been developed to overcome sensitivity to heat, humidity, acidity and other harsh conditions.