The US smoking tobacco market is the smallest sector of the US tobacco products market, with a 5% share of the overall volume. However, it has recently been the most buoyant sector in the tobacco market, mainly growing at the expense of manufactured cigarettes. The US tobacco products market is one of the largest in the world but is in decline, with overall consumption having fallen by approximately 30% since 2000. The market is still dominated by manufactured cigarettes, with 2014 factory-made cigarette volumes at 265,000 tonnes.
- Although smoking tobacco - comprising pipe and fine cut tobacco - is the smallest sector with 5.3% of the US tobacco products market, it remains the most dynamic; sales in 2014 were almost four times their level in 1998
- Sales of FCT tobacco rose almost continuously year-on-year until 2008, with volume reaching almost 10,000 tonnes in 2008, to form more than 80% of the total smoking tobacco market that year, compared with almost 20% for pipe tobacco. However, taxation changes have now made pipe tobacco the dominant category.
- Retail prices have increased significantly recently, due to the hikes in excise duty.
- The FCT market is dominated by two manufacturers: Top Tobacco (Republic Group) and Brown and Williamson (BAT), with their respective flagship brands, Top and Bugler.
Smoking Tobacco in USA, is an analytical report by Canadean which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the US market.
What else does this report offer?
- Market size and structure of the overall and per capita consumption based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing analysis and our in-house expertise.
- Detailed information such as market shares and recent developments of the manufacturers, leading brands along with company profiles.
- Regulations, taxation, retail pricing, smoking habit and the growing health concerns affecting overall production.
- Prospects and forecasts of overall sales and consumption for 2014 to 2024.
Reasons To Buy
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- As consumers product demands evolve, the dynamics between different countries also change - favoring some countries and leaving others increasingly out of line with demand patterns. As a result, understanding the specific market dynamics of the US market is key to ensuring maximum future sales.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes -prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
Table Of Contents
Tobacco products market, Tonnes, %, 2004 and 2014
Tobacco products market, Tonnes, 2004-2014
Market size and structure
Smoking tobacco Consumption (Tonnes), %, 2004-2015
Per capita consumption - Smoking Tobacco, %, 2004 - 2015
Smoking Tobacco: Market Segmentation, 2004-2015
Real FCT and Pipe Tobacco Usage, 2005-2015
Cigarette Consumption: Manufactured v FCT, Million Pieces, 2004-2015
Production and trade
Production, Tonnes, 2004-2007
Imports, tonnes 2004-2014
Imports of smoking Tobacco by Country of Origin, Top Countries, Volume, %, 2014
Imports of smoking Tobacco by Country of Origin, Top Countries, Value, %, 2014
Exports, Tonnes, 2004-2014
Exports of smoking Tobacco by Country of Destination, Top Countries, Volume, %, 2 2014
Exports of smoking Tobacco by Country of Destination, Top Countries, Value, %, 2014
Taxation and retail price
Smoking Tobacco: Federal Excise Taxes, US$ per lb, 2002-2015
Smoking Tobacco: State Excise Tax, Rates 2002-2015
Dual Purpose Pipe Tobacco: Retail Prices, Selected Brands, 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2015
Manufacturers and brands
Smoking Tobacco: Manufacturer Shares, Volume, %, 2004-2014
Smoking Tobacco: Brand Family Shares, Volume, %, 2006-2014
FCT: Brands by Price Segment, 2015
The smoking population
Adult Smoking Prevalence, Total and by Gender, %, 2004-2013
Smoking Prevalence, by Age group, 2007 and 2012
Prospects and forecasts
Fine Cut Tobacco Consumption, Tonnes, 2014-2024
Per Capita Consumption, Grams Per Year, 2014-2024
Additional data tables
List Of Tables
List Of Figures