Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the German Dairy Food Market provides an overview of the market, analyzing market data, demographic consumption patterns within the category, and the key consumer trends driving consumption. The report highlights innovative new product development that effectively targets the most pertinent consumer need states, and offers strategic recommendations to capitalize on evolving consumer landscapes.
Understanding Consumer Trends and Drivers of Behavior in the German Dairy Food Market identifies the key demographic groups driving consumption and what motivates their consumption. The report uses a unique method of quantifying consumer trends to highlight the degree of influence they have on consumption within the category. The report also identifies the most important trends within the market and shows whether beliefs over what influences consumer behavior within the category are accurate.
Get access to:
• Key consumer demographic groups driving consumption within the German market. The figures showcase the number of times consumers of specific ages and gender consume Dairy, as well as identifying whether these demographic groups "over" consume in the category (i.e. they account for a higher proportion of occasions than the proportion of society they represent overall)
• Market value and volumes over 2008–2018 for Germany and nine other countries to give a global context.
• The degree of influence that the 20 key consumer trends identified by Canadean have on Dairy consumption volumes, with granular analysis on the extent that degree of influences varies between gender and age group
• Insight into the implications behind the data, and analysis of how the needs of will evolve in the short-to-medium term future
• Examples of international and German-specific product innovation targeting key consumer needs.
• German consumers select Dairy products based on their ability to meet life-stage related and age-specific needs
• German consumers aged 55 and over are the key consumers of Dairy products
• Consumption of Dairy products among Germans is driven by the pursuit of pleasure and indulgence
• Price-conscious German consumers are seeking Dairy products offering good value
Reasons To Buy
This report brings together consumer analysis and market data to provide actionable insight into the behavior of German Dairy consumers. This is based on Canadean’s unique consumer data, developed from extensive consumption surveys and consumer group tracking, which quantifies the influence of 20 consumption motivations in the Dairy sector. This allows product and marketing strategies to be better aligned with the leading trends in the market.
Category classification and demographic definitions
Canadean has identified nine mega-trends that drive food choice: these can be broken down into 20 sub-trends
Health, Value, and Indulgence are the key factors driving Dairy consumption in Germany
The German Dairy Food market has a value of US$20.6 billion and is forecast to witness accelerated sales growth over the next five years
Milk accounts for almost half of all Dairy consumption volume
There were over 88.1 billion Dairy Food occasions in Germany in 2012, with total consumption higher among Older Consumers
The Dairy market in Germany is set to become the second largest in Europe, after France, by 2018
Demographic cohort consumption patterns
German women consume more Dairy products than their male counterparts
Older Consumers are marginally over-consuming Dairy products, indicating opportunities to focus on healthy products
Young Adults and Pre-Mid-Lifers are under-consuming in Dairy due to Busy Lives and budget constraints
Kids & Babies, Tweens & Early Teens, and consumers aged 55 and over are ‘heavy frequency’ consumers of Dairy products
Consumer trend analysis
Indulgence influencing consumption pattern in German Dairy Food market
Consumer trends influencing Dairy consumption can be compared globally to provide greater context on the degree of influence each trend has
The Changing Lifestyle mega-trend: Older Consumers seeking functional Dairy are driving sales.
The Connectivity mega-trend: Connection with Dairy products among Germans has little impact on the market growth
The Convenience mega-trend: Due to longer working hours, consumers in Germany look for convenient Dairy Food options
The Ethics mega-trend: Consumers in Germany are not highly motivated by the ethical credentials of Dairy products
The Experience & Enjoyment mega-trend: The German Dairy market is driven by consumers’ desire to treat themselves with Indulgent Dairy products
The Health & Wellness mega-trend: The older population in Germany is driving the demand for functional Dairy products that promote good health
The Individuality mega-trend: Consumers in Germany seek differentiated products that meet their taste preferences and dietary requirements
The Trust mega-trend: In order to seek better quality, German consumers prefer buying Dairy products from trustworthy brands
The Value mega-trend: As a staple food category Dairy has a high influence for Value products among German consumers
Manufacturers are innovating across categories to target the growing needs of German consumers
Manufacturers are focusing on innovative formulation, positioning, and packaging
Manufacturers, marketers, and retailers need to adapt Dairy positioning to maximise consumption occasions
Manufacturers, marketers, and retailers should develop functional products to meet the needs of an aging population
An explanation of the sub-trends
List Of Tables
List Of Figures