This report provides a concise overview of the Savory Snacks market in India. After reading this report, you will understand the size of the market, the economic, demographic, and behavioral trends that will drive its evolution and the leading players within the market, allowing you to plan effectively for the future.
Analysis of consumer behavior, economic conditions, and demography reveals emerging opportunities in the Savory Snacks sector.
Key growth categories are highlighted by analyzing the market dynamics of seven Savory Snacks categories.
Market shares are provided for the leading brands and private labels across Savory Snacks categories.
An overview of packaging trends in the Indian Savory Snacks sector is provided, including primary packaging material and type, packaging closures, and outer packaging.
Why was the report written?
This overview of the consumer and market dynamics of the Indian Savory Snacks sector allows new entrants and established players to gain rapid and comprehensive insight into the current state of the market, and identify the key trends that will drive growth in the coming years.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The most important motivation by far is Fun & Enjoyment, which motivates consumers to Snack between meals purely for the enjoyment of its taste and to experience new flavors.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
While Fun & Enjoyment is the most important motivation amongst Savory Snacks consumers in India, they also seek Snack products that help them create special moments of relaxation and recuperation, either during or after working hours.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Indian Savory Snacks sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities across seven Savory Snacks categories and their packaging.
Convenience Stores held a 65% share of retail sales of Savory Snacks in India in 2012. Hypermarkets & Supermarkets trailed behind them, with 26.2%. This highlights the impulsive nature of much Savory Snack buying in India.
Increased urbanization encourages consumers to eat out more often, with the traditional way of life being replaced by a fast-paced lifestyle.
The majority of Savory Snacks consumers in India are heavy frequency consumers, eating once a week.
The quality of a product is important for Indian consumers as the Savory Snacks sector evolves to take into account pressures on consumer spending and rising awareness of weight issues. As Indian consumers gain more disposable income, they are able to spend more on non-essential food products such as savory snacks that are benefiting from the increasing importance of snacking among middle-class professionals, particularly within urban areas.
Savory Snacks sales in India are largely driven by age related products and those that meet specific requirements consumers see as being caused by their life stage.
Table Of Contents
- Better living standards have shifted people’s focus from satisfying basic needs to pursuing a higher quality of life
- Convenience stores account for the majority of Food & Grocery sales
- Convenience Stores will account for the largest share of sales in the Indian Savory Snacks market
- Increasingly urban and busy consumers are looking for convenience
- Men consume Savory Snacks slightly more than women in India in terms of volume
- Consumers across all age groups eat Savory Snacks at a heavy frequency
- Fun & Enjoyment is the major trend driving the Indian Savory Snacks market
- Indian consumers seek products with innovative flavors that have been designed for sharing occasions to relax and enjoy
- Age and lifestage related products play key role in the Indian Savory Snacks market
- The Indian Savory Snacks market will register sound growth as exchange rates stabilize
- Ethnic Snacks and Potato Chips will drive future growth in the Savory Snacks market
- Ethnic/Traditional Snacks will gain its market share from Processed Snacks during 2007-2017
- Ethnic Snacks and Potato Chips will register strong growth rates
- Processed Snacks and Nuts & Seeds will register positive growth rates during 2012-2017
- Popcorn is expected to gain in popularity
Brands & Private Labels
- Private label penetration in Savory Snacks categories is relatively low
- Despite rapid growth, Private labels are unlikely to challenge major brands because of their low penetration
- Key brands by category
- Ethnic Snacks and Processed Snacks’ high volume share is creating demand for Flexible Packaging Bags and Sachets
- Rising consumption of Ethnic Snacks, Potato Chips and Processed Snacks will drive changes in packaging demand by 2017
Future outlook –key trends in Indian Savory Snacks sector
- Low-cost value products will remain important
- Flavors that suit local palate are gaining importance
- Guilt-free snacking is on the rise
- Consumers will begin to experience new & novel flavors
Data Appendix & Summary Methodology
List Of Tables
List Of Figures