Seniors represent a significant age cohort within the global consumer landscape. With consumers aged over 60 anticipated to represent almost one quarter of the global population by 2050, brands need to ensure that they can effectively target and resonate with these individuals. Most importantly, steering away from stereotypical views of seniors will be vital for success both now and in future.
- The majority of consumers aged over 55 agree that they feel younger than they are. This suggests that age-based targeting using traditional senior stereotypes will not resonate with a significant proportion of consumers, and may even alienate them, given that perceptions of emotional age do not reflect physical age.
- Today's seniors are embracing digital change and new technologies as avenues to improve and enhance their lifestyles. Digital uptake and engagement is an approach being used across a range of dimensions including socializing, shopping, and even health. Smartphones are used by over half of consumers aged over 55 globally, and this therefore creates opportunities to leverage this connectivity to engage these consumers while also creating smartphone-optimized solutions.
The senior segment is rapidly evolving and brands need to move beyond traditional stereotypes of the silver segment. This brief seeks to explore the key trends shaping the behaviors and attitudes of this segment in relation to personal health, beauty and appearance, digital consumption, purchasing behavior, and individuality and self-expression.
- CONSUMER INSIGHT: Data analyzed from Canadean's consumer surveys delivers a clear picture of the global senior segment.
- TRENDS: Understand the key trends shaping the behaviors and preferences of the senior segment both now and in the future.
- INNOVATION: See the best examples of innovation and actionable recommendations for brands seeking to target this consumer group.
Reasons To Buy
- Gain in-depth insight into the senior segment and their importance in influencing today's FMCG landscape.
- Understand the attitudes, concerns, and behaviors of the senior generation both now and in the future.
- Get recommendations to inspire future NPD to target seniors effectively both now and in the future.
Table Of Contents
1. Executive summary
2. Seniors and the global landscape
3. Five trends shaping attitudes and behaviors in the senior segment
i.Trend 1: Individualism and self-branding
ii.Trend 2: Age beautiful
iii.Trend 3: Age healthy
iv.Trend 4: Digital conversion
v. Trend 5: Experimental, experiential, and premium
vi. Innovation spotlight
3. Looking ahead to the seniors of tomorrow
List Of Tables
List Of Figures